Tuesday, September 8, 2020

A First Week Unlike Any Other

The first week of school feels a little different this year. For me, there's nothing like the exhilaration of a new school year. So many possibilities, so many new opportunities - and so many new faces! This week, we begin a new year in a new way. For most of you, your connections will be through distance learning. Others will resume their commitment to serving children in childcare settings or delivering meals to families throughout our community.


No matter your role at SPPS, I want you to know your work is important and you are valued.

I will never forget putting the key in the door of my first classroom. There was extra excitement because it was my former classroom as a student in the same school. I had wonderful mentors and colleagues, shared stories of success and failures, but what I enjoyed most was how my students truly brought room H6 to life. Each class was a community, made up of students with different talents and interests, personalities and life stories. 


You have likely heard or read me espousing the importance of working together in all that we do. In an organization of our size, it can feel daunting. As for our work assignments, we represent different schools, departments, grade levels, content areas, languages spoken, specialized services. Each of us also possess rich and unique backgrounds and histories. My plea is that you recommit to working together, not because it sounds like the right thing to say. More importantly, our success as a district depends on it.


I am calling on you to create the time and structure for relationships, our family pulse surveys overwhelmingly indicated this was the greatest concern. I know you will all do a great job welcoming students back.


Finally, I would like to take this time to restate and reframe a previous message I sent. Earlier this week, I referenced joint language in our ongoing collaborative work. A portion of the statement read, “...agree to maintain learning equity for our students during this time.” I received and read my statement just as you did. I failed in articulating my beliefs about my commitment to equity. The word maintain may very well assume that our past and current system supports an equitable experience for students, staff and families. I do not believe this for a minute. I apologize for this poor attempt at framing my beliefs about equity. The call for equity means that we hold ourselves accountable for ensuring the same high level of expectations for all students, and that we create whatever support is necessary to ensure access and success.     


I am grateful to be your colleague and join you in being a proud member of Team SPPS.

 

In partnership,

Joe Gothard, Superintendent

No comments:

Post a Comment