Tuesday, September 22, 2020

New School Year: New Expectations


by Melley M. - HHS Editorial Staff


St. Paul, Minn...This is not like any other school year.  This school year, kids are all at home instead of in school.  There are no first day school bus rides, no walking together with friends to classes, or seeing who has lunch together.  This year, students are in distance learning. 

Usually on the first day back to school I am nervous and a little panicked because I feel as if everything is new again.  Typically, the first thing my friends and I do when we see each other is see if we have any classes together.  This year, my friends and I are Snapchatting each other to discuss our classes. 

Some positives out of going to school at home are for one, I don’t have to worry about finding my classes. Secondly, I get to work at my own pace with the school work. Htway also said “Something positive is that I can do things at my own time and not stress about it. I also am able to keep myself and my family safe.” 6th grader Lucas also said that “I’ve enjoyed meeting new people through google meets with his teachers and classmates. 

However, there are many more things that I miss about not being at Humboldt. I miss seeing my friends. I also miss just being out of the house.  It is hard to do school work at home, especially since I’ve had to be at home/locked down since March.  I sometimes get bored at being home all the time, so it would be nice to get out for a few hours.  8th grader, Htway stated that the “hardest thing  is getting used to online school and not going to the bus every morning.”

6th grader, Lucus stated  that the “Hardest thing is that I am new to everything.”

There are some things that I am looking forward to. For one, I am looking forward to not seeing some people that I dislike.  I also like that I am getting more familiar with using my ipad and exploring different apps and technology. 


No comments:

Post a Comment